Friday, August 20, 2010

alternative Comics Surreal Nightmares of a technological nature

HEY APATHY! SURREAL COMICS

Oh how sad a day it was when on this, Friday the 20th of August 2010, the heat finally broke. For weeks now the city has been sweltering under a blazing sun and suffocating humidity. The effects of the climate on my own little existence have been vast and varied as my studio apartment has been less than tolerable during the hot season. Despite air-conditioning, several fans and attempts at an open window, this top floor lodging refuses to resist the extreme temperatures which were amassing outside. In fact on numerous occasions I nearly passed out at the keyboard, dripped sweat over animation stills, or simply gave up and had a nap. For the most part however, I resigned to developing a work schedule accordingly so as to remain productive throughout this summer spell.



As a street artist’s I paid particularly acute attention to the weather. Alas the livelihood of a busker or vendor depends on the sun. Shoppers are like weeds, if the conditions are right their bags just grow and grow. I’ll never forget the time one of my prints went into a London tourist’s large plastic bag which had two other items in it; Frank Zappa’s Orchestral Hit’s and a Spider-Man comic. What an honour to join such magnificent purchases (there is no escape). At any rate as I worked the streets for five consecutive seasons, I became quite familiar with our city’s weather patterns. Each year, between 2004-2008, Toronto would suffer a brief humidity strike reaching temperatures in above 40C heavily influenced by humidity. These waves always lasted for about two weeks before a more reasonable climate would settle in. Oddly enough this summer set out in a common fashion, only at the end of the two week duration always haunted by the heat wave, we saw little relief. I can estimate that the wave started around July 10, and only let up in the past couple of days based on my journal entries. Since the city and my studio heated up I have had absolutely no desire to write and can trace the forced paragraphs back to the aforementioned date. Not to say that the writings are any worse ( how could they be) than those written before the humidity, but they are shorter, generally technical and inspired by commitment rather than by muse. This entry marks the first time I’ve gotten an “urge” to actually do this in quite a while.



Like the disturbance of my daily journal, the heat has also dictated my drawing schedule over the past few weeks. In order to maintain a comfortable work environment I’ve had to rearrange my practice, location, and hour operation. During the day I retreat to a shady spot in the park were I read and sketch. Unfortunately the animation cannot be produced in an uncontrolled setting and I’ve had to limit my daytime drawings to short comics and small pieces for the website ( the ones posted hear over the past couple of months). Though nothing could be more pleasant than an afternoon in the park doodling, I often got frustrated by the limitations of the park process but could not bare the hellish studio. This problem was solved simply by rearranging my molecular structure and forcing my self onto an unusual sleeping schedule. After the park I tend to sleep a few hours off before dark. Then went the cooler night arrives I brew a fresh pot and hit the animation stand. These late hour have proved immensely productive but physically draining often putting me out of commission during the day. During those exhausted hours following a hard night’s work, I’d take to reading in the park as opposed to drawing. The days have had a tendency to work like this, 10 am rise, 11-5 sketch or read outdoor, sleep until 8 and work in studio from 9-4am. Weird? Yes I feel a little weird and sleepless but I’ve conditioned my self well and have been extremely productive.





So after all this complaining and inconvenience why, might you ask, would I mark the end of the heat as a sad day? Well, I suppose I’m really enjoying the freedom to work, read, sit outside, and create. So I’ve had to risk my health and compromise the work a little, summer air is fleeting and not to be taken lightly. The park weather will be gone soon and so will the money. Everything is about money. I made mine in the spring and soon I’ll have to make some more. Life is very different as a legitimate professional than it was on the streets. Sure I get up 50 time as much for some of the work but the money comes in distanced chunks as opposed to a steady flow. The streets were very reliable and constant, as long as the weather held. I guess the big difference between the two techniques of marketing could be defined by a sort of “putting your eggs in one basket” analogy. The streets offer multiple chances at reasonable rewards, if one day is bad you get to try again on the next one. Doing shows, on the other hand, often brings in much greater rewards although if a presentation fails, it could be months until the next one. As silly as it seems I spend far too much time selling and budgeting that sometimes I think it’s a wonder I get anything done. Stronger men than I would have choked and gotten a job along time ago, but I’m way to stupid to do that. Besides the shows always go well and I don’t stress nearly as much as I used to (flashback in my mind to me sitting on Queen Street selling drawings on a cold February morning 4 years ago) . On that note I’ll be performing / exhibiting at the Scotia Bank Busker’s Festival from the 27-29. I’ve never done the show before but am aware of it’s reputation and expect an amazing festival. Did anyone actually read this whole thing? Well I’m sorry if you put yourself through all that, I suppose I’ve been collecting a lot of ramblings behind my eyes and I’ll try to make a regular effort of typing again so this doesn’t happen again.


Oh yeah the drawing is a new illustration for the Amorphous Glob Macroverse, one of 13 stories I am  making as a part of the new HEY APATHY! Surreal Comics.


No comments:

Post a Comment