Saturday, July 31, 2010

ALTERNATIVE COMICS Broadcast to Oblivion

HEY APATHY! Alternative Comics



When we last left our celebrity news broadcaster (yesterday's post) he was entirely occupied by his own image. Spending hours upon hours, in between telecasts, the reporter watched tapes of his performances and practiced in the mirror. He starred at his reflection and videos with such concentration until one day he realized that he himself was the reflected image and not the actual man on the news.


Some more unfinished 8.5 x 11 inch sketchbook comics for the upcoming HEY APATHY! Surreal Web Comic. I really should try to keep up with the lettering as it is I have twenty pages to write in. When I work on paintings or even comic books full time, I like to work on one piece from start to finish. However when I am producing large quantities of drawings, such as animation stills, I will often divide the process between numerous artworks.


For example in a scene consisting of two characters, one black and one white. I might draw the white character 100 times, return to the beginning draw the black character 100 times, then start over again to paint the black character in 100 times. It’s like a factory production line. The problem with this technique is that the most mundane and repetitive parts of the process always get left, in abundance, until the end. On the positive side of my ever growing pile of unscripted comic pages, my lettering leaves much to be desired right now and a good solid week of practice should help me tighten up my cartoon calligraphy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment