Thursday, January 6, 2011

Fast Food, High Speed, Low Life


Slouching over my drawing table with a grumbling stomach I worked through all the ink I’d poured out before noticing the late hour. It had been nearly ten hours since I’d boiled the first pot of coffee and a conglomeration of little lines was amassing on the page. The creative process can often be addictive and even more so under the duress of deadlines. I stood up for a stretch and was thinking about pouring more ink when the hunger manifested tenfold. There was no point to continue, I had to have food.



The dishes were done and the kitchen was prepared, I even had almost everything that I’d need for a good meal. However I felt rather put off when inspecting the cupboard. It wasn’t the metallic tinge of the canned goods, or even the stern warnings from the media against milk. No I simply didn’t feel inclined to the task of making up the food. Suddenly, as though the theatre had just darkened, I was struck by a loud flashing neon advertisement and a head full of loud noise. I recalled seeing my neighbors carrying home take-away sandwiches and knew that the counter was open late at night.



I’d only ten dollars in cash, meant for tomorrow’s grocery, but I figured on treating myself justifying the act knowing the sandwich would get me back to work. I left the house quietly so as to not awake Julii and was out and back with the goods within a matter of minutes. Standing on the front porch I reached casually in my pockets when I noticed that I’d forgotten my key.



These things happen when you are starving at 3 in the morning; nevertheless the doorman would let me in. Much to my surprise he was not at his post. I pondered my next step for a moment before the attendant returned. My sigh of relief was cut short by a moments terror for the face was unrecognizable, this was a new night watchman! My courtesy thwarted I had no choice but to call up Julii. I picked the cell phone from my coats lining and turned the it on.



Beep. The battery died so I walked over to the buzzer. All the codes and names on the directory were either faded or out of date. For the first time I realized that I didn’t know our own code. Not to worry, I thought, there is a payphone around the corner.Though it was working, and I had some quarters I drew a blank at the dial. I did not know the number. On my cell the number is programmed and I always just press 1.



By now I was starving so I sat on the bench by the entrance and devoured my sandwich. Although well seasoned and relatively delicious, I felt full but hardly revived or re-nourished. The empty card board calories and seeping sweet sauces did little or nothing to improve my famished state. There was nothing left to do but to wait and hope that someone I know passes in or out of the building. At three o’clock on a Wednesday the chances were slim.



The night was getting colder and the snow was blowing around when I finally notice a car pulling up. Finally an opportunity, I’ll follow them in. I no longer cared if I knew the tenants or not I would casually stroll up and follow them politely back in. Sure I looked a little rough after wandering around in the cold, but I had every right to be in the building and would hardly arouse any suspicion. The lights of the car beamed brightly on the drive so I sat patiently in order to time the move well.



It would be vital that I approached at exactly the right moment in order to catch the door. If I arrived too early I’d appear odd without keys, and if I was too late, well then back to the snow. The lights grew closer and I took a deep calming breath. In my mind I was already inside, nothing could go wrong.



The car lights flashed across the entrance window and the vehicle began to slow. It pulled right up to the door and I stood up timely ready for the approach. Then the most dreaded thing happened as the car neglected to stop. The lights moved passed the entrance and shone luminescent on the wall. They appeared like the eyes of an owl scowling the area in search of prey. The car turned slowly until the lights hit my face. Nearly blinded and completely surprised I stood frozen by the bench. The lights stopped dead in my direction a the doors of the car swung open. “Freeze, this is the Police, please identify yourself.” It appeared as though the new security guard had taken notice of my presence and was very nearly likely as bit of a go-getter. The last thing I remember was a spine tinkling shock-like sensation which turned my joints into jelly and set me into a fit hysterical laughter. In my mind I could visual my identification papers sitting on the desk upstairs just beside the door. My keys are probably there too but that is of little consequence, at least I won’t be sleeping out side tonight!  HEYAPATHY pen and ink artworks.


No comments:

Post a Comment