Sunday, June 20, 2010

ALTERNAITVE COMICS Happy Father's Day!


HAPPY FATHER'S DAY DAD!!!

I doubt there are many successful or creative people in the world who made their way without the help of others. My “HEY APATHY!” project is no different and on this the day for dad’s, I’d like to express my overwhelming gratitude for all the help and support I’ve received from my father. My dad has been an incredible force in assisting me in making all my crazy comics and art. If it weren’t for his  help I’d have never made it this far ( whether or not that’s a good thing is up to you to decide).


My father has been an integral part of all my outdoor exhibitions and street performances. He built the portable red wall gallery I use  and has on numerous occasions handled the transportation and set up for shows. He has also  hosted entire events all on his own and was really successful a few weeks ago in Ottawa showing the work at a festival, When I worked as a street artist he helped me with my display and made frequent trips the dollar store to make sure I  always had frames for the busy weekends. During that time he also set up a work shop in his basement where he built, stretched and primed all of my canvas’ for two years while I was creating such work. Today that same work shop is used for framing paper drawings and shrink wrapping prints.



My Dad helping battle the wind at the Toronto Outdoor Art Exhibition



He also handles all of my printing and publishing, doing all the necessary research, leg work, and shipping to make sure that my merchandise is top notch and readily available. This work has included the publication of three graphic novels, two limited edition silk screen posters, a line of t-shirts and various digital prints. He is currently hard at work developing the large scale posters we hope to have ready later this year. My father also financed the construction of my website, http://www.heyapathy-comics-art.com/ , as well a several road trips to promote the work including a vineyard in Niagra Falls and some performances in Manhattan. (see the New York photo below).



STREET ART photo of the road trip to New York


There are probably several hundred other things he’s done for HEY APATHY! that I can’t think of right now not to mention his raising, feeding and sheltering me throughout my formulative years, but all good Dads do that. I’d also  like to mention that along with all the hard work he does with me he is also a full time babysitter dividing his energy between watching over my two-year charming nephew Darroch (named after my father) and his crazy older brother Don. I don’t know were he finds the energy but he’s still going and has a done a lot better at keeping his hair than I have. Thanks for all the support Dad, couldn't do it without you. You don’t know how much it means to me!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment