Thursday, June 10, 2010

ALTERNATIVE COMICS AT TORONTO COMICCON

HEY APATHY! Alternative Comics at Toronto Comic Con!


 
It has been over a week since I last found time to scribe my ridiculous notions in this little journal. Fortunately the lapse was not the result of any fit of malaise nor the result of any injury but rather induced by an excited distraction. I spent the better part of last week. the entire weekend and then some working on two simultaneous exhibitions. Having unintentionally double booked showings this past Sat.- Sun. my father and I split the chores and attended separate shows. He took the fine art up to Ottawa while I attended the Toronto Comic Con Fan Appreciation event at the Metro Toronto Convention center. 


 
The comic festival was awesome and I met hundreds of people while performing a 4 x 8 foot live ink drawing (shown above). It was really fun to share my alternative comics philosophies in a venues primarily dominated by the mainstream. The live painting was highly regarded especially by the younger audiences as I made a bunch of new short friends who kept coming back to check my progress. The painting featured a giant city of gears propelled by a whirlwind of all sorts of crazy people. Like all of my performances, the drawing was heavily influenced by the surroundings and the city was transformed into a monstrous mecha-creature. But do not fret for the skies are quickly filling with various super-heroes soaring towards the beast and ready to save the day! The entire drawing took two days to complete and was done simultaneous with constant story-telling and discussions making the experience one I'll never forget.


The second day of the show was particularly busy as a result of the incredible Fan Appreciation promotion. The Comic con charged a $10 admission fee but in return each person received a $10 voucher good at any of the comic book retail booths. I thought this was great especially in comparison to most conventions which cost over $20 just to get in. The place was packed right until closing and I was happy to see several old friends from Queen West as well as many, many new ones.  


Toronto Comic Con!


Me and Venus Cat getting ready for the weekend shows.


While I was working away at the Convention Centre my Dad was doing the same up in Ottawa at an Outdoor Exhibition. His show went really well and he had tonnes of stories. It was really wild to hear him talking about all the different people that he'd met. He sounded very much like I do when I've just finished a good show and I am really happy that the experience was as enlightening for him. Thanks for your help Dad way above and beyond anything I ever expected. We won the emerging artist award at the festival and my father managed to move a number of ink drawings as well as merchandise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment