Tuesday, June 1, 2010

ALTERNATIVE COMICS a journey's end and recollections

    

HEY APATHY! Alternative Comics


When last I found the time to record my mundane misadventures I was spiralling through a psychedelic vortex travelling from one City to another. The journey was inspirationally serene though the border crossing wasn't and eventually I arrived in the monstrous metropolis known as NEW YORK. A slight misdirection by our electronic navigator actually spit us out in the middle of Thursday night Manhattan Traffic. My father, Julii and myself crossed the chaotic island in it's entirety in-between taxis, limos, honking horns and suicidal pedestrians. It was raining hard which only made the whole thing much more fun, yet we survived unscathed and hit the borough of Brooklyn shortly past ten.


It was a hot afternoon in Brooklyn as we took up lodgings in a little apartment in Bushwick. It was truly an incredible little world entirely different from any I've ever witnessed. The area was completely Latino and beautifully filled with culture, music and life. At first I found our acceptance in the area strange as we were certainly the only white people walking down Myrtle Street, yet no body (asides from some gazes towards Julii) seemed to notice us at all. By the time evening fell I'd figured out why. Only a coulpe of blocks from our apartment was a hidden hipster club district built among various inconspicuous and apparently abandoned lofts which filled up with rich college kids from dusk to dawn. The two worlds seamlessly collided and interacted with out any particularly obvious prejudice though the lines between wealth and poverty were extensively visual. Despite this division, harmony prevailed and I fell in love with the people. places and undoubtedly the food. Although I could take or leave the blaring loud bass dance music at 7:30 in morning.


After the visitation we strolled through Battery park and caught the Staten Island Ferry so my father could get a glimpse at the Statue of Liberty. It was interesting to see how the New York boat accommodated the touristy long weekend and cruised closer to the statue than it would on a regular day. The Ferry is an important little piece of our memories as Julii and I commuted on it numerous times during our previous trip. We visited a 911 memorial and got some good coffee before making our way back to the city then our temporary home. After the visitation we strolled through Bttery park and caught the Staten Island Ferry so my father could get a glimpse at the Statue of Liberty. It was interesting to see how the New York boat acccomidated the touristy long weekend and cruised closer to the statue than it would on a regular day.The Ferry is an important little peice of our memories as Julii and I commuted on it numerous times during our previous trip. We visited a 911 memorial and got some good coffee before making our way back to the city then our temporary home. 
 
My dad on the Ferry. Thanks for planning this Amazing Trip!!

So what does all this have to do with alternative comics? Well first and foremost experiencing life, people, and cities is my greatest muse and second of all we planned this trip for a reason. Our final destination landed us in Washington Square Park, famous for it's community of street performers and buskers. This is where my comics and self really fit in as I unrolled my giant paper scroll and armed myself with some ink and a brush with the utmost intention of joining the show.

Washington Square Ballet and the parks house pianist
(this guy wheeled down his piano and joined various other acts depending on who needed him most!)


It was a too hot to start painting in the early afternoon so I waited for the heat to subside before getting to work. As luck would have it as we sat in the shade some of the other performers strolled up and joined us on the bench. We got an instant introduction and behind the scenes look at the world of busker and artist from the fabled New York Park. Believe it or not it was like looking in a mirror and listening to a recording of my self in Toronto. A small world with big ideas and despite all our differences we are all just the same. There were dancers and drummers and weirdoes alike all setting up stage as the festivities took over. I spent about three hours before sunset working on a large City of Gears and was completely consumed by the magic of Manhattan. I talked to people from all over the world, met many locals and performers as well. The highlight of the venture, though the entire interaction was amazing, came as I started to share my weird philosophies with several groups of onlookers. "The city is a giant gear, " said I answering a youngsters inquiries, " but it is up to all the crazy people to make that gear spin!" The kid replied "THAT"S COOL!" smiling to his father when a thick New York accent bellowed from another corner of the crowd "And it's TRUE!". I will say no more because just thinking about it gives me the shivers but at any rate I was there, in Washington Square and I was part of the show!

     
          
        

SEE YOU ALL AGAIN IN THE FALL
 because of course I love NY!

Julii in Washington Square.
 Thanks for the wonderful Company and Documentation!

More art at http://www.heyapathy-comics-art.com/ and the STREET ART CHRONOLOGIES will continue tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment