Saturday, June 19, 2010

ALTERNATIVE COMICS of SHADOWS...



HEY APATHY! Alternative Comics



Over the years of my weird studies I’ve read, watched and witness many happenings involving shadows. In stories they have boxed back, hid dark secrets and in a certain instance a ghost impersonated one for a groundhog. On film I’ve seen battles in which ninja move in and out of them and at night I’ve been mesmerized by an odd kaleidoscope of twirling shapes on my ceiling which don’t quite align with the passing traffic which supposedly causes them. It is clear that these unassuming darkened reflections of the world hold secrets which are generally taken for granted.


Having arrived at this deduction I felt it was only natural to investigate the matter more thoroughly . In order to do so I came up with a simple plan involving a few powerful photography lamps and a selection of household products. Setting up my devices in the studio with an intuitive particularity, I proceeded to cast large shadows on the wall of the loft. My intention was to briefly meditate on each form before capturing some quick gestures with my India ink and brush.


I’d no expectations as to what I might find, which as the physicist knows can be both progressive and troubling. It is of the utmost interest to discover things you aren’t looking for, but without direction or intention can one discover anything at all? Well I certainly found out something that maybe I shouldn’t have as the shadows began to take on a life of their own. When casting a mug I found a four legged creature and the mop, broom and bucket revealed a horse. I tried some chairs and a nightstand only to discover a strange form which looked a lot like Australia. And finally I put forth some of my groceries and mixed everything together which projected the clear and precise image of a human form.

That form divided itself into two similar factions both growing horns and dancing about. A third figure, less sleek and more bulbous appeared shortly thereafter and the three unusual creatures enveloped the wall. As they crept around the north side of my studio their shapes grew more definite and their actions less obscure. I could see they were pacing hastily as though in search of object becoming increasingly frantic and frustrated as they went about. It was a horrible scene but strangely fantastic so I grabbed my paper and imitated the forms on the page.

At this the shadows stopped and turned towards me, pointing and relaxing as though their query had ceased. Suddenly I felt a terrible chill which caused me to draw rapidly though I wasn’t sure why and for some reason was accepting of the occurrence. Not an unusual thought regarding these shadow had entered my mind. I didn’t think about the absurdity nor question the movements until the shapes started changing. Like a small clustered disco ball little flickers of light danced from inside, and the dark flat shadows appeared more multi-dimensional. I could see strange organic clusters around the area of the creatures faces revealing them selves in unknown forms which I can explain better with my pen.






 
I rushed to complete the images which still did not bother me for I must have been under some sort of dream spell. The horns and the meat faces became clearly visible as did their hands and small remnants of clothes. Marvelling at the magnificent find I paused for a moment to bask in the weirdness slowly engulfing me. It was in this petrified moment that my senses returned initiated by the most terrifying thing I’d ever scene. Not the horns, nor the hands, nor the clothing astounded me, not even the amorphously butchered globular mess which passed itself as their faces. It was one last transformation which sent me into a panicked fear, finally breaking the hypnotic clutches dulling my thoughts. As the shadows pointed with authority in my direction I saw the them for the first time as something other than shade. One by one they opened their eyes. These eyes were not flat, and were certainly not impressions as not light reflection could mimic a optic so well. Fully developed round juicy blood shot eyes and in some instances more than were appropriate.


Shuddering I’d of screamed if not for a fit of extreme dehydration. Although my parched throat could be accounted for by the photography lamps, I can’t help but feel as though something else was responsible for draining me of my natural fluids. I smashed down the objects placed before the lights in a frenzy to stop this surreal metamorphosis. Breaking to lamps and turning off the others I sat in pitch darkness uncomfortable afraid. The images had vanished but I was still quivering though I had no trouble recollecting the sight of their eyes. I added them to the ink drawings while alone in the blackness fearing both the stark night and even more the cast shadows which would soon return with the rising sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment