Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Godshave been Advertising and there are Corporate Robots inhabiting the Park



Today is weird (period). The sun is shining and people are smiling, the market is flooded with spring hormones and stupid fashions and everything appears dandy. It isn’t (period). On one side of things I see life and people growing, there is a lot of positive energy out there. In particular the local Longboard skateboarding shop is teeming with excitement. They are one of the last best things this neighborhood has got. The sport is purely uplifting both spiritually and physically and I must revel in their success. They are opening a new store and while you’d never know it from the appearance of the previous location this one is much better equipped, in a better location and well going to be a success. I a very happy to see this and so is the community. It’s a sport made for kids and promotes healthy living, (Thanks Ryan you are really making a difference!).

However there are also a couple of absolutely hideous things growing here also. The first terrible event happening right before my eyes; the Gods started advertising! Five jet planes started criss-crossing across the big blue airwaves leaving sky written commercials all over Toronto. Now this isn’t really anything new and has been done for decades but the technology is certainly more sophisticated and the impact is the same. Suddenly hundreds ( and that is only what I could see in my peripheral) of people were starring up at the sky at what sort of chemical compound I dare not imagine. I will not perpetuate the advertising by stating the brand title but I will say I feel mind-raped and won’t soon forget it. Not only does the technique require a magically chemical compound but product itself was some sort of cosmetic. Have we really failed to progress past these manipulative parlor tricks, in the year 2011 do people still was there faces with alcoholic concoctions believing them to be a fountain of youth. Obviously we have failed.


The second problem involves the city’s new bike racks. These giant electronic rental stations are popping up all over town. Now to call them the ”city’s” is likely mere confusion as they would appear to be privatized and not really public at all. First of all the one that appeared here in Kensington Market runs the half the length of the parkette and is a terrible eyesore. I’m serious this park is probably only 250 feet long and the rack is at least 100 feet and is using up a lot of space. Secondly the machine is only accessible to people with credit cards which pretty much excludes everyone under the age of 18. Not only is the machine ridiculously cumbersome but the bikes themselves are uselessly designed giant pieces of junk. They are really clunky and have at the most 1 or 2 gears and are not particularly ideal for getting around. Hooray for the environment? Well yes we should be riding bi-cycles but the bikes are eating up our parks and are reserved for people with lot’s of money ( a $250 dollar deposit is required) which means that they will just sit there for the majority of the week. I can’t believe that Toronto doesn’t care about this marketing technique, I mean a company can set up an automated business just about anywhere but they nearly arrested me for selling artwork in the streets!

 
Anyways I ‘d like to add that I’ve spit this all out completely on intuition and have not yet done any research into the matters at hand. I think this is important and I’ll be doing in more regularly because it might be interesting to note my initial reactions before I do either confirm or refute by researching the details. I’m going to look into these bikes a bit more later on this afternoon and add some more commentary after I find out what the newspapers say.

 
“HEY MIKE WHERE ARE THE DRAWINGS?” I’m not drawing nothing maybe not ever again. I am feeling so totally disgusted by the world and all of it’s stupidity that I don’t want to draw anymore, I simply can’t see any point.

No comments:

Post a Comment