Saturday, May 7, 2011

WHY THE UNIVERSE MUST END a not so WEIRD TALE


HEY APATHY! Weird Tales


I woke up a bit early this morning in hopes that the cafe I sit at had recovered my lost knapsack. It is the only place I went yesterday and they are often pretty good about returning articles that get left on their bench. No luck though I really hope that whoever got the bag ate my groceries and is using the brand new sack as opposed to savagely investigating it in hopes of finding money or drugs before tossing it in the garbage. Very likely the latter of the two scenarios.




So I had to abandon all hopes of retrieving my new backpack and artist's supplies (notice I'm reposting old drawings these days can't make any new ones) and got myself a coffee. The young girl behind the counter proudly announced that she was going to the WEED march today and my heart sank. If it was a march to support hemp products and medicinal usage I could get on board, but it isn’t, in all honesty it really isn’t but I’m not even going down those thought processes right now, I couldn’t handle it.



The bench is outside but is covered by an over-hang and heavily decorated with No-SMOKING signs in compliance with both the city's bylaw and common sense. There was only one seat left beside a fairly respectable looking and recognizably regular member of the community, probably between the age of 45 and 50, who sat there with his beatnik hat on backwards smoking.



I approached him politely as I prepared to take my seat and said "Excuse me sir, you are not supposed to smoke on the bench there are notices everywhere".



"I know" he replied continually smoking.



"I'm sorry I don't understand, does that mean I have to sit beside and inhale your cigarette smoke"



"I guess so," he responded bluntly puffing on the fag.



I sat down and as calmly as I could and continueed, "If you don't put that out or stand out on the walkway like everyone else I'm going to get the owner." For the record the owner of the cafe is a tough cookie, often referred to as the coffee Nazi a la Larry David, and is not fond of smokers because as odd as it may seem he is the one who will receive the $1000 fine if the officers catch people smoking on his property.



"Get the owner."



Was he trying to call my bluff?



I got up and went to get the owner. Now in all honestly I was rather upset and disrupted by the utter disrespect this individual showed me. I was a little shaky; I mean this was almost absurd except that it happens everyday. When I returned with the owner the man had fled the scene. He had certainly been through this before but for some reason had chosen confrontation over common sense. I read a page of my book without catching a single word before I was able to calm down enough to restart my day. Just another reason why the universe must end. ( at least writing it out feels fairly therapeutic though taking that cigarette a putting it out in his eye would have been a lot more fun).

No comments:

Post a Comment