Thursday, February 25, 2010

Alternative Comics And Music

STREET PAINTING TO MUSIC

scene from HEY APATHY! Book Two


still from HEY APATHY! time lapse video 3.5 HOURS with Mike Parsons

Yesterday I posted a few portraits of my musical heroes and mentioned some strange stories about playing their music in the middle of the busy streets. I have also incorporated this passion of mine into the HEY APATHY! comics. In the books I use a little seance machine (a portable radio) to summon the spirits of dead musicians. This little narrative device allows me to give clues as to what kinds of music I enjoy and permits me to intermingle or discuss stories about the the musician's themselves as I often do while performing. I consider the "ghosts" to be a representation of the internal imaginary dialogue I have with these artist's when ever I listen.

The first picture depicts the morning's routine out on the street, setting up , watching people, and pressing play... note the upper left hand corner of the panels and you'll see me summon one of my dead musician friends. The second photo is a picture of me painting out on Queen West. in downtown Toronto, the little black blur in the lower left hand corner is my ghetto blaster. Photo by Craig Boyko. I plan to post a web-page on my site dedicated to my artworks about music, but it's not a big priority right now. I did however complete sizing and pasting all the text for the first installment of monster comics and page 10 or something of the online comic book so a whole bunch of new comics are almost ready for you to read...

No comments:

Post a Comment