Sunday, February 28, 2010

HEY APATHY! Alternative Comics


MONSTER COMICS! title panel from the new online narrative. The story follows a freelance illustrator ( played by me) as he follows his mysterious vagabond patron on a mission to complete a series of commissioned portraits of some unusual subjects. I finished posting the first page a couple of days ago and had a bit of time to think about it and view it on screen. For the most part I am happy with the opening, however I felt the animated sequencing of the panels needed a little work.

It's really wild and very unique working online instead of in published form. Many new possibilities and opportunities arise. For example, I decided that the first panel of the story required a small addition and spent the day drawing it. Once I publish a printed magazine I'm stuck with it. Not so when publishing on-line, I'll add the revisions tomorrowand no one will be the wiser. The layout is also entirely different on the computer. I'm using a scroll page and it works amazingly well with sequential art. When scrolling down, the images mock animate themselves. This had resulted in my desire to extend the credit sequence. In a publication I would certainly limit such a sequence (see www.heyapathy-comics-art.com/Monster-Comics.html ) to 3 panels. On the website I am going to extend the sequence to include 4 or more panels in order to maximize the scroll page effects.

So basically the day was spent revisiting, editing ,and adding some new panels to MONSTER COMICS. I'll post them all tomorrow so you can see the page improvements and so no one else can see what it looked like before.

No comments:

Post a Comment