Tuesday, April 6, 2010

ALTERNATIVE COMICS the City of Gears

HEY APATHY!  The City of Gears!

I have been and continue to promote my alternative comics and website at a number of events such as the Toronto outdoor Art Exhibit, and the Comic Convention and I keep promising people that I will add the stories to go along with the illustrations. So far I've got some of them up but keep getting sidetracked with all the other projects I've got going. So in order to get the ball rolling I'm going to start posting these stories here in the blog first. Generally I find this forum less intimidating and it allows me to come back and proof read the articles quite easily. I figure that these spontaneous rough drafts will help me organize my thoughts and permit me to pull the text together much faster than if I continually sweat and rework the paragraphs in fear of making a mistake. Some of these may have been posted in some capacity before but I'll keep trying until I get it write, I mean right. Here's the first story...

In the distance the city appears like a towering factory over an insurmountable and unidentifiable crowd of tiny faceless people. As the anonymous masses file into the architecture the gears of the metropolis begin to turn. The little bubble people are in the offices and stores, infinite spiralling , making the city go around. As the work day breaks the endless hordes exit the gear-like routines of the enormous buildings and begin to move down the concrete walk ways. In the foreground the bubble people present them selves and for the first time we come to realize that they are not faceless cogs at all. Rather the city is made up of all the different kinds of crazy people who move through it!

This pen and ink urban landscape portrait features a cartoon caricature of Toronto. The primary goal of the artwork was to compare and contrast the notion of “THE BIG CITY” a frightening and isolating mega-conglomeration of nihilistic and commercial ideologies with the my first hand experiences with the urban center as a place of diversity and culture comprised entirely of unique individuals and accomplishments. Drawn on location at Queen Street and Spadina in the heart of downtown the entire image took approximately 8 hours to complete. visit http://www.heyapathy-comics-art.com/ to see all the pictures and some stories


No comments:

Post a Comment