Sunday, April 4, 2010

ALTERNATIVE COMICS on SPACING MAGAZINE


HEY APATHY! ALTERNATIVE COMICS

It's been along day so I'm a little tired but I really wanted to talk a little bit more about SPACING MAGAZINE. I had some time to check out the magazine thoroughly today and I must say it is even more interesting that I had initially discovered. The magazine is not an art or fashion rag and does not cater to commercial plasticity’s. I read articles about urban planning, city by-laws, transit problems and the changing face of the city of Toronto (as well as my artworks). The deeper I studied the book the greater it impressed me, informed me, and made me think about urban oddities! To be included in this social and political periodical ( in Chris Bilton's Article entitled "Curbside View") is truly a great honour.


a page from SPACING Spring issue

In the past I have been featured in numerous art, fashion, design, and newspaper articles which, despite the great publicity, tend to leave the subversion up to me. Generally the idea has been to look cool in the photo shoot but try not to get to many ideas out there because they don't sell. Art magazines often appear as an empty catalogue of egomaniacal plagiarists attempting to market the next big thing.  As for the News papers,  well I'm not even going to get into that pile of misdirected half-truths tonight...SPACING is none of those things. The articles are  dedicated to important issues and people affecting the cultural landscape of our little Torontonian metropolis. Don’t get me wrong it is really fun to get published by the people I'm openly criticizing, however having an intellectually motivated magazine recognise those criticisms is ultimately an enormous triumph.

THANK YOU Chris and thank you SPACING Magazine for being important, underground, and stimulating in a world of fluffy magazines owned by the useless products they promote. It is a great honour and dream coming true to see the HEY APATHY! artworks included in such a reputable forum!

No comments:

Post a Comment