Monday, April 5, 2010

ALTERNATIVE COMICS Technological Infiltrations

HEY APATHY! Alternative Comics Beware of Mass Hypnosis!

Following a long and dissatisfying day at the office, I returned to my lodgings beaten and worn. Nothing had gone right and although I still had a job, both my coworkers and employers have grown to despise what they openly define as my utter incompetence. In truth what they despise is my imaginative responses to the mundane and trivial occurrences which are best known in business circles as "work". So be it, I skipped out on the sympathetic invitations to join them in a bar and came directly home at the end of my shift.


Home is a 12 by 12 foot single room with a tiny window on the east that never receives any light. I have a small writing table and a mattress, a bar fridge and a hot plate, and enough room under the bedding to store all my clothes and belongings. So you can imagine very few items are ever miss placed and even the slightest disturbance to my personal possessions would be instantaneously noticeable. And that is exactly what happened when I peered through my door.

Someone, or something, had set up a little black box and television monitor on top up my desk. Shocked by the intrusion I surveyed the room but found no trace of the intruder. I called down to the lobby but no visitors nor deliveries had been reported. I began sweating profusely at the antagonizing perception of the invasion of my privacy. Infuriated to despair I resigned to telephone the police. That's when the monitor started to flicker.

Inside of the screen a young lady composed of cylinders and cones addressed me. She had a sly way of talking and easily persuaded my taking hold of the control panel attached to the box. I was seduced into various conversations and whisked off to numerous locations and well one thing led to another and our child was conceived.

At first I was nervous at the thought of parent hood but soon got into the game. Checking the bottles, changing the diapers, feeding times, baby fashion and such. Eventually I even took to building a community for the child. I set laws, made policies, increased taxes and raised war. Only the best for my child in a world under my control!

Dizzy and drunken on the simulated stimulation I passed hours and hours and eventually days then weeks. The office dare not disturb me for they knew that creationism was my only true work. In fact the government started sending me monthly wages to finance the experiment. I grew my beard long like a God and ceased strolling amidst the mortal denizens outside of my world. Each moment I obsessed, schemed and dispensed unto the great nation inspired by the birth of my first born son.

My son? Oh my son, I can't find my son! A perspiring panic overwhelmed me, in my virtual megalomanias I had built countries, executed criminals, tore down continents and amassed insurmountable fortunes, but I'd forgotten where last I put my son! In a fitted rage I searched the nursery, the schools, and the parks. I put up posters, newspaper ads, a megaphone out my window and even posted rewards on my blog. I retraced all of my steps but to no avail.

I found the child's mother walking half way across the kitchen, disappearing, then starting again. No matter how many times she crossed the floor she could not tell me the location of our son! Frantically I tore from the corners of my room. I tossed over the mattress, turned up my small desk, filed through the pockets of my coat and retraced all of those steps over again thrice in vain. I sat silent in the middle of my 12 x 12 foot apartment and ,before I could weep, passed out cold on the floor. When I awoke only moments ago I discovered the black box and the television have been removed from my room. In losing the device I feel compromised, and equalling despairing for my privacy as I did upon the initial intrusion, and although I cannot explain the reasoning, I am certain I will never set foot outside of that door again!


 
more art and stories at http://www.heyapathy-comics-art.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment