Thursday, March 4, 2010

ALCHEMY 101 mixing fact with fiction in Alternative Comics

Yesterday I posted a bunch of photos depicting the various stages of my days as a street performer. I never really expected any thing like this (but knew it all along) when I applied to the Ontario College of Art and Design in 2000. I had intended to study illustration in hopes of one day landing a job as a comic book inker. I always wanted to draw my own books also but thought that it would be a personal project that I could develop over time as I gathered more experiences worth sharing. Anyway several scholarships, gallery installations, and magazine cover stories later I found my self out on the street and painting theses huge crazy murals. I also mentioned yesterday that I had more or less retired from street performing ( on a regular full-time basis that is) in order to return to he only thing I ever really cared about, comics. The interesting accumulation of my strange journey is that all these weird art things that I did started adding up as not only my own style of interactive narration but an entire comics universe. As a natural continuance of my life long ambition, the new HEY APATHY! comic book series combines both my true life experiences as a street artist and the imaginary yet more concrete world of HEY APATHY! This picture shows me setting up a street intervention in the cartoon world on the left, and me getting to work on the painting on the right. As I get more proficient with my computer skills, I plan to integrate various live components of links such as stills, video, and animation, directly into the comics. Some of the real adventures are even less likely to be believable that the ones I make up. Is a metaphor made up or just a skewed fact? more at http://www.heyapathy-comics-art.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment