Monday, March 29, 2010

ALTERNATIVE COMICS A Lizard Dream...

HEY APATHY! Alternative Comics dream hiatus

It has been said by the Buddhists "that the minute you speak of something, it is lost". In contrast, it is common knowledge amongst sorcerers and black magicians that quite often it is the verbalization of an action which ignites the consequence. For both of these reasons, (understanding and fear) I had decided it in the best interest of all parties involved not to share the following experience unless the matters at hand were first clearly resolved. Early this afternoon such actions were taken in order to reach a reasonable conclusion so as to permit me to tell you the tale of my recent Lizard dreams.

In my brief hibernation, taken to recover from this past weekends comic book convention, I endured the most terrifying of sensations. During my sleep I happened to notice that a small dragon creature had suffered a severe and almost certainly fatal injury. The lizard was nearly split in two at the gut and was writhing and projecting telepathic screams in a desperate fit attempt to relieve itself from pain. I could see no means of saving the monster despite all of my books and training ( I have performed numerous amateur yet necessary and successful surgeries on my own reptilian in the past) and so with a broken heart I decided to end the life of the dream lizard in the namesake of mercy.

You can probably get an inkling of the black feeling overtaking me if you remember your own pet's end, however it is more than likely that an emergency did not force the euthanization out of your own hands. But what was worse was my attempt to save the beast from it's suffering continued to fail. Neither the ringing of her neck, nor the injected poisoning, nor the attempted affixation I inflicted would take.

Instead of passing freely the tiny life perpetually agonized increasing from each attack. She shrank and withered, lost most of her skin, lost all of her colour and her eyeballs fell inside of her skull. But no ,the creature would not die, I could not release her from the pain, and my constant attempts had certainly pushed her past any hope of being saved.

I awoke in terror and immediately went to the tank to inspect my miniature dragon. She seemed happy and healthy and without a care in the world. I placed her in the sunny window and pondered the message dredged up from my unconscious. It did not take me long to analyse my guilty subconscious as I was full well aware that my lizard, named Goose, had not been fed since at least a week. I was also aware that my avoidance of feeding was correlated to my concern for another little dragon sitting in the pet store.

The lizard entrapped at the store was withering away, malnourished, discoloured and undersized in comparison to it's dominant sibling. I had been avoiding the store, and the purchase of Goose's food, for fear of seeing the other little one suffer. On my previous trips the proprietor of the shop had sensed my solicitude towards the situation and treated me with disregard shuffling me out of the shop quickly to avoid reparations.

Realizing my empathetic fears could potentially ignite disaster, I resigned to visit the store, purchase the food, and was determined to avoid checking on the small dragon. Upon arrival, the owner's greeted me with a more than usual enthusiasm (they'd always been friendly prior to their own dragon's illness). I ordered some crickets and unconsciously strolled over to the lizard aquariums. Much to my surprise and delight the dragon was looking proud and strong. Her colours were growing as was her tale. She had almost caught up to her brother, a magnificent specimen once three times her size.

 I returned home and watched the little Goose monster hunt and gobble the heard of insects like a giant Japanese monster awakening from a thousand year slumber. Having faced my fear of the pet store and alleviated my guilt, I  resolved the black terror which engulfed my being persistantly through out the night and early morning to such an extent that I am unashamed to share the occurrence and freed from the worry that talking about the problem might cause an imaginary horror to manifest.  more stories at  http://www.heyapathy-comics-art.com/

A picture of  my good friend Goose a happy, healthy lady lizard chilling out in the park.

p.s. I can't get the Wizard World Convention picks out of the camera due to minor technical difficulties but I promise to review the event tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment