Saturday, March 20, 2010

Alternative Comics Metaphysical Biography

HEY APATHY! Alternative comics ego metamorphosis

As a younger artist-person-insignificant cog, I had some extremely harsh realizations about the monstrous metropolis, people, and existence on this planet in general. Having decided (unwillingly) to follow my vocation I accelerated a personal theory of mine entitled you are what you eat. This theory involved a notion that the universe was composed of an enormous conglomeration of artificial, superficial and down right evil untruths. In order to avoid succumbing to the mass hypnosis and added to the decimation I stopped consuming mainstream and alternative ideologies that I easily deemed irrelevant. I have never played a video game, read a magazine, nor watched a bad film, or anything made in Hollywood, I don't know anything about modern "music" and I cannot stomach the lies, I mean the news. But cutting all of these trivialities out of my diet, I created a new mental and metaphysical workspace in which I had hoped to discover both myself and the truth and ultimately creating artworks out of a restricted and mystically natural bubble. Around 2002 I actually went as far as removing all of my personal possessions, limiting my self to functional clothing free of the constraints dictated by fashion and cut my self out of all the social "scenes" I had once partook. I had always had a hard time with the general stupidity of the world and was once and for all fed up. I decided ( naturally and unconsciously) to pursue a life of creating alternative comics knowing that I was not the only person who did not believe in our planet's current state and that if my ink drawings could tap into a higher state of awareness I might be able to perpetuate some sort of new hope. Alan Moore saved me as a child and maybe my comics could perpetuate the salvation to another generation.


The HEYAPATHY! online comic book moves in and out of my mythological parables and auto-biographical situations in order to tell a story simultaneously personal and universally political. In the panels above I have used a pretty little metamorphosis to express my ego shedding and reluctance to fall victim to the mass commercialization known as civilisation. In reality I had forsaken all the luxuries of a young north American lifestyle in order to pursue my investigation of existence. I stopped making auto-biographical works and began focussing my energy on the external problems of the monstrous metropolis and the socialization of it's denizens. Like wise in the comics the biographical content is starting to shed away in favour of a surrealist examination of urban atrocities. However over time, and as a result of this disowning of self, my individual experience begin to resurface as examples and incidents of importance. The alternative comic likewise will move back and forth contextualizing the outer and inner body experiences in my life as an artist. In real life I actually had to rip off all my skin and throw it on the ground and that's what made it so easy to draw, I mean one can only successfully write about topics one has first hand and in depth knowledge of, right? P.S. I still am what I eat so you can take all of that crap and have the buffet with out me. I'd rather read a good book or sit in the middle of the streets and talk to real people.

picture of me sitting in the middle of the streets where I talk to real people

No comments:

Post a Comment