Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Alternative Comics Commissioned Jazz Portrait

Gary Bartz alternative comics portrait

I was posting the progress reports on this commissioned comic portrait of saxophonist Gary Bartz a week ago or so and eventually , as often happens when one is busy, I forgot all about the painting. I finished the ink drawing and delivered it to the client last Friday but just discovered the snapshot this morning while cleaning out my camera. The entire drawing took about 7 hours to complete but the work was spread out over a 10 day period as I had a number of more pressing tasks to complete simultaneous with this commission. At any rate the drawing is part of a series/style I invented depicting some of my favourite jazz musicians, each caricature is made up of a New York cityscape complete with little tiny people spiralling through the urban chaos. When I listen to this music I always get a strange visual sensation likening my imagination both to the tribal roots of the forest and the concrete and bricks of the big city. I hope that the artworks represent that same mysticism derivative of the improvisations played by all these magical musicians.


Ok, Gary Bartz is one of my favourite players but I'm going to do this any ways... The coolest alternative music performance of his career ( and one of the craziest of all time) was when Gary played at the Isle of Wright with Miles Davis. I know, I know, nobody wants to be remembered for playing with Miles because they all went on to create their own musical landscapes but the fact is that the shadow cannot be overthrown. I suppose it's a sort of curse catch 22, like a Mafioso king anyone who played with Miles was pretty much a made man in the world of funky jazz, however they are all also pretty much destined to be remembered best for their work under the sorcerer. (Wayne Shorter, who has worked with a vast number of musicians including Art Blakey and was the band leader for the chart topping Weather Report, still advertises as the saxophonist from the Miles Davis Quintet) So sorry for the reference Gary but this playing was sick...




Gary comes in at the 3 minute mark and you ain't never heard anything like it !!!
(warning make sure your cat is not in the room)

for more ink drawings visit http://www.heyapathy-comics-art.com/

1 comment:

  1. great blog...writings, musings, rants, music and artworks...who could ask for more??...keep it up...

    ReplyDelete