Wednesday, March 10, 2010

MONSTER COMICS, and COMMISSIONED works

New panel from MONSTER COMICS!


Another busy day in the life of an alternative comics artist! First thing this morning I put some work in on the Gary Bartz commission I wrote of yesterday. The ink drawing is about 20 x 30 " but the patron is in no rush so I thought I'd take it easy on that piece. Another client of mine however, is in a little bit more of a hurry. I have been commissioned to paint a Mural on the barn doors of the PASSE MURAILLE theatre here in Toronto. The local live theatre has gotten some funded to paint the door with a quote from the declaration for human rights regarded the importance of public expression and the fine arts. I was honoured to be chosen for the job and the theatre's representative Andy Mckim approached me because of my reputation ( a good one I hope) as a public street artist and local performer. I spent a bit of time piecing together concepts for the mural. The tricky part of this job is that the doors themselves are quite magnificent and it seems a shame to even paint them. I am trying to come up with a design that won't change the architecture to much. I made 10 little computer sketches like the one below showing a number of options, including various graphics and fonts but found this idea most interesting. The following sketch represents a scene of the door open a crack with the audience inside watching audience.

 


Having gotten some work done on both of my freelance projects, I decided to spend the afternoon working on MONSTER COMICS! The first picture I posted today is a raw scan of one of the panels for page 2 of my new online creature feature. The alternative comic mixes mythological horror with non-fiction and auto biographical references. Basically I couldn't come up with any imaginary hero or character that I could believe in so I used my self instead. It just seems easier and more fun that way. This auto-biographical content is one of two major characteristics which differentiate my fine artworks and my art comics. The comics use my real life experiences as a tie-between catalyst for the stories whereas my fine artworks do not include any biographical depictions although the themes are often interchangeable between both mediums. My online comics are also digitally inked and the original drawings are small and unfinished. On the other hand the fine artworks range from minute to enormous and are completely hand rendered. Well that's enough of that. I'm going to try and get the lettering done and post the new HEY APATHY! comics page a.s.a.p.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment