Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Alternative Comics Commissioned Portraits


Alternative Comics Portraits! Although I succumbed to a trend or two as a teenager, my underlying and recurring interest in jazz has pervaded possibility over the years. Comics, in a similar manner, have perpetually and persistently entered and exited my life since childhood. Interestingly enough one of my favourite influences, Robert Crumb, has taken to combining the art forms and creating numerous book and CD compilations sharing the wonderful stories and music of past decades. When I listen to music an inspirational entity ensues so I thought it would be fun to channel that energy and do my own style of homage’s.


There were about seven pictures in the series and I exhibited them at SUBLIME CAFE in Kensington Market. The cafe features great coffee, live jazz, and a huge selection of rare records for sale and being played. I didn't meet the lady who bought this Billie Holiday tribute, however the rest of the collection was purchased by the cafe owner. Rez, the proprietor and curator of the LP library, has recently asked me if I could do a GARY Bartz portrait to add to his collection. I'm an avid listener of Gary Bartz and huge fan of the 70's Miles Davis stuff so naturally I agreed. As soon as I finish this post I'm off to th art store and will start the new drawing this afternoon. visit http://www.heyapathy-comics-art.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment