Tuesday, March 2, 2010

ALTERNATIVE COMICS online panels

On this the second day of yet another March, I've a plenty of tasks to complete. First and foremost I am working on composing a 500 word artist statement which will be applicable to almost all my upcoming submissions. I have one in particular in which I am planning to apply for soon, but am going to continually fine tune the article for at least a week. . The majority of submission package requirements are the same and I've a plie of CD's and CV ready to go, but I always find myself re-writing the statement as I have yet to find the words which best explain my apathetic agenda.If I can get the story down really tight, it would be a great accomplishment and make all my future applications much easier.

To get warmed up today I am going to blog out a rough for the proposal I am working on. It's supposed to be 500 words regarding my overaall pratice. The following paragragh should help me organize my thoughts before I return to the word processor from hell!

HEY APATHY! is an ongoing artistic investigation of the metropolis, the people, and the macrocosmic ramifications of our routines and actions. In the earliest artworks the city is announced as a giant gear propelled by an endless sea of faceless denizens. When I stated this project (2001) I envisioned the city as a nihilistic conglomeration of misdirected commercial and superficial ideologies. In order to better understand the phenomena in question, I decided to externalize my inquires and investigate the lives, motivations, and dreams, of others. In 2002, forsaking the introverted nature of the artist's studio, I began exhibiting and performing live drawings at public and outdoor art festivals. Shortly thereafter I moved the project to the streets where I practiced as a fully licensed street performer from 2004-2007. By means of constant and aggressive public interventions, I have since engaged in unparalleled discussions and interactions with peoples from all over the world and of all walks of life. As a result of these varied audiences, HEY APATHY! has evolved into a brand name multi-media line of artworks including comic books, t-shirt designs, fine art, murals, animations, and print making. The broad range of creations has increased my ability to produce artworks simultaneously intellectually provocative as well as accessible to viewers of all ages. Today the artworks still present the city as an giant gear, only now it is all the different kinds of people, not faceless cogs, who fuel the machine!

 I also have some drawings, and digital inking to finish for the online comic book (unfinished pages shown above) as well as hordes of stuff to post and fix on the website... busy busy.The pages above are scattered ingredients depicting the city devouring the protagonist and the hero passively retaliating by means of painting.  The time lapse shows how when the page is blank the hero appears defeated, yet the more he draws the taller he stands. During the summer of 2001 I made about 13 giant repetitiouss and meticulous ink murals using a hand carved bamboo pen and black india. These drawings were included in the first full-size HEY APATHY! installation at O.C.A.D., This part of the comic takes place way back before the towers fell. Following this sequence I'm going to publish some of the short comics and cartoons I made as immediate reactions to the events which followed that summer. see more at http://www.heyapathy-comics-art.com/





No comments:

Post a Comment