Thursday, May 13, 2010

Alternative Comics Brain-Worm-Thing

HEY APATHY! Alternative Comics

Many of us who've taken an interest in the weird development known as progress, often ask our selves a variety of questions concerning man's limitations when travelling through land, space and time. Just such a query was tempted my way this morning as I received an email notice that a local company trading in technologies was about to unveil a new device. The advertisement invited those selected to join in a midday presentation and at a chance to purchase the product at an unbelievably low introductory price.

I'd nothing much better to do than to investigate further so I attended the presentation with little debate. The new electronic was introduced although no a member of the crowd could have guessed it as the tiny computer looked an awful lot like a worm. The spokesperson held proudly in her manicured hands a small cup of fishing bait expecting our applause. " This little computer will change the way we travel. It's amazing capacities are beyond any of last years lines!" The model slipped in her excitement and toppled the container sending some of these "worms" reeling to the floor. There was a bit of a disturbance as some security blokes rushed to the stage. However a few seconds of whispers and shuffles restored all composure and the presentation proceeded as though uninterrupted.

The announcer began describing the prowess of the worms. She told us that it's virtual simulations bordered on reality. Claims were made that the device would be faster, infallible, and of the utmost import. As the speaker continued I could almost imagine the effect. Instantly the surroundings started fading away and I found my self on an island of tropical decent. The sun started shining and birds passed the sky as I felt a new relaxing sensation warm me up more than beach.

Information passed my unconscious in a flickering script and before I could enjoy the euphoria I knew that my files had been sorted. All of my office work for the next three full years flashed through my mind's eye and were orderly complete. Then I watched movies in a half of a second. The entire film cohesively was implanted in my brain. And as the experience became joyous when I connected with friends. Suddenly there was everyone that I'd ever met. We were all on the island chit chatting away in near perfect utopia when the strange sound began.

I was laughing uncontrollably in the ecstasy as the piercing began. At first a soft ringing, but growing steadily louder, the noise started aggravations before actual harm. Eventually I forgot all my hallucinatory fantasies falling sweaty to the floor red faced grasping my ears. Louder and ill-pitched by the second I felt the urge to scream loudly but couldn't bare another sound. Hands started on my shoulder trying to hold me and I saw shuffling around at my feet. The noise blacked out my vision and I heard the announcer's voice trying to calm the obviously distressed onlookers.

When I awoke I was in my apartment completely free from all pain. I'd no idea how I'd gotten there nor much recollection of the time in between. Of coarse this left me rattled so first I went for a short walk. After breathing some fresh air I returned to the computer. The email notice had been deleted from my files and though I contacted the tech company no one seemed to know anything of the worm. Now once again acting naturally I laid on my bed, another bad dream perhaps or only a story? It was just before passing into a slumber that I resigned to belief in these logical explanations. That's when I heard the other sound. It was all bass and liquid completely different from the nightmarish pitch which rendered me unconscious but it came from the same source. Deep within my ear the noise ruggedly escalated but before it evolved to terrifying volumes a large squish signalled it's end .The little metallic brain-worm-thing excavated itself from my cranium slopped on to the floor an escaped into a crevice beside the internet wall jack under my desk.

No comments:

Post a Comment