Wednesday, May 5, 2010

ALTERNATIVE COMICS SURREAL SAMURAI CHARACTERS

HEY APATHY! ALTERNATIVE COMICS SURREAL SAMURAI

I've been unbelievably busy over the past ten days. The most exciting thing happening is the new animation, funded by the Ontario Arts Council, is moving along steadily. Every morning I start at the drafting table a put a few hours in on the cartoon before moving on to other processes. The animations are among the only artworks I make which do not give immediate satisfaction, however as time passes, the stack of drawings keeps growing and I know that before long the cartoon will be done.

The afternoons, corresponding with the early summer weather, have been used for research in which I carry some books and a sketchpad out to the park. I find this to be a productive and relaxing way to enjoy the hot afternoons. Then finally after dinner I do some work on the monster comics.

Superhero from BOOK ONE

Last night I did a few illustrations for my HEY APATHY! character description page. I want to add web pages for each of the characters in the comics but didn't really like using captured stills from the actual book so I started these playing card style drawings. Each of the characters will have their origin stories or backgrounds and some all new art. I like presenting the comics online because of the intricate layering of story telling techniques that can't be achieved in a publication such as hidden pages, thumbnails and appendixes, and of coarse moving pictures.

Surreal SAMURAI from BOOK TWO

So the plan for today is to repeat all those processes. Hopefully by tomorrow I'll have moved ever so slightly ahead on the animation, finished the rest of the character designs, and got some good reading in at the park... Visit http://www.heyapathy-comics-art.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment