Sunday, May 9, 2010

ALTERNATIVE COMICS the hole


Following a productive morning cleaning and a relaxing mother's day afternoon with both my mother and sister , who is also a mother, before returning from the quiet east end to the hustle of the Gear. On my journey back, during on of those brief above ground stretches of the subway track, I noticed the sun had made it's way out for the first time today. As any weather watching opportunist knows that the sunshine in the city is scarce, I got off the train a few stops early and decided to take to a stroll.

The oddest thing happens before I could reach the sun. The exit to the subway was guarded by yellow tape and where there once had been stairs there was now only a hole. The empty and seemingly bottomless black cave like anomaly laid horizontal and circular in place of the steps. The opening was approximately 15 feet in length appearing simultaneously deep and impenetrably solid. There were thin black lines shooting off from the edges, some of which had coiled up the walls suggestive of an explosion. However I was certain there was no such catastrophe as the aura of the thing scarcely intimidated me. I have been to places were bad things have happened and although I am not a superstitious, mystical or even remotely spiritual person,. I promise you that a telling residue stains tainted places.

I looked down to the ends of the plat form but oddly enough not another soul had got off. And there were no alternative exits on my side of the tracks. With no other option I crossed the yellow warning and peered into the tunnel. It was as if the tunnel was now vertical and opened directly in front of me when with a flooding gust of the wind pushed me enough to force a proper stance. I heard strange sounds and squealing as of the next train, only with inhuman reverberation and coming from the hole. The wind stop instantly turning my defensive foot hold against me and I sent my self off balance and forward into the black hole.

The lighting was nearly indescribable for only a foot in the cavern turned pitch black beyond belief, yet I could clearly see the station behind me brightly lit like a movie. None of the exterior rays had penetrated the hole. All the laws of light and physics were contradicted by the precise separation from this world and the other. I turned back to the blackness after examining the divide with a curios compulsion to venture farther ahead.

Before I took three steps I saw a little light and a strange sort of jelly floated into my path. The jelly was only about 4 or 5 inches at any length and it was perpetually morphing and jiggling around. I recognised small human faces and features in the amorphous creature and as I became aware of them mentally the forms grew more complete.

I tested this coincidence and found the my theories true. What ever I imagined the strange monster would mimic. I thought of trinkets and comic characters and music and art and with each and every thought the parody was perfect. I thought of cats and an elephants when just as I started to master the process my mind started drifting. I wondered what time it was and whether the sun was still out. The jelly turned into a clock then a sun symbol. Harmless enough but then I pictured the streets and when I saw them in front of me I accidentally imagined war

The terror of my stray thoughts only instigated their wanderings and many horrible visions twisted among the suspended glob. With my meditation broken all the layers of mind poured out. I could see myself thinking about thinking before the thoughts entered my mind. I saw my best childhood memories mix with my previously unconscious dreams. fragments of news casts, weird stories and theories presented themselves fleetingly but with the utmost of accuracy. The shapes shifting faster than my vision could handle but aside from the nausea, I understood each and every form. After all they were merely reflections of the things I had thought of.

I froze in terror at the actualization of my brain waves. There were so many images and ideas more abundant than I imagined. For the first time I could hear all the levels cohesively and was struck by a monstrous notion. I thought about reshaping the world as easily I reshaped the morphing moulds. This was too much for me to handle. Sweating and shivering I nearly gave out. My only hope of escape lied in deep concentration.

Summoning all of my will and holding my breath I focussed on the first safe image which came to my mind. I am sitting on the subway. I could see the orange seating and the neon glow. I concentrated on the feet of the passengers in front of me. For a moment my own image was seated just across from me and for the first time in my life I could see from another’s eyes. The transforming subliminal organism vibrated with anger. The form started personifying and grew two devilish horns. I know not what it did next for I realized that through these observations I would certainly start another runaway train of thoughts. The orange seats, feet and glow, seats, feet and glow, the subway came to a jolt and I awoke at my stop. There was no hole in the underground the hole was in my head!  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment