Sunday, May 23, 2010

Alternative Comics Surreal Street Art Stories 2004 part 3






 
Aside from some rough beginnings, this first season as an unofficial street artist proved very productive and educational. Though propelled to the experiment by a combination of strange influences, experiences and ideas evolved gradually over a four years period, the miniature revolt was entirely circumstantial. Had I not happened upon certain people simultaneous with a particular financial destitution I likely would never have taken my interview to the streets. The summer of 2004 exposed me to many incredible secrets as I studied the politics of street life while scribbling away. Among the many unspoken rules I paid close attention to vendor etiquette and seniority as well a the city’ official rules. I encountered the dreaded by-law officer on many occasion’s and learnt quickly learned how to slip through the cracks. I deliberated on pedestrian patterns, the cause and effects of the weather as well as the strange logistics of working outdoors. And most important of all I started talking to real people. I exchanged in conversations with various absolute strangers in an entirely unique forum free from the preconceptions and pretensions of the art festival or gallery. Over the following winter I began co-relating all this data and excitedly planned to resume my new means of expression as soon as the cold weather gave way to a new spring. 

tomorrow Street Art Chronology 2005 the second season...


The logistics of street art Julii saves the day!



No comments:

Post a Comment